Monday, March 15, 2010

SXSW Preview - Casiokids

I'm in NYC right now, in the midst of a week-long East Coast stint that commenced last Thursday in Boston. It's been a nice change, but I am definitely already hankering for all things familiar back in Austin. Perhaps because anytime I have even fleeing contact with social media outlets, all anyone has on their mind is SXSW. I can't wait to be back and be reunited with my most beloved friends (and my car! You can totally tell I'm a Texan at heart) and throw myself into the midst of the SXSW craziness. My toes are tingling just thinking about it!!

In the same spirit, let's continue with music previews for the fest, shall we?

This one comes from a SXSW send-off show case I attended yesterday at Brooklyn's LittleField Warehouse. The event was called DEATH BY AQUAVIT! A Scandinavian SxSW Send-Off, and it featured four Norwegian/Danish bands that are playing at SXSW later this week (and somewhat humorously, also featured a menu of Swedish meatballs, complimentary Swedish fish and a cocktail called 'Bloody Björk').

Anyway, the headliner of sorts was Norwegian band Casiokids. Their music features lots of vintage Casio synths (namesake?), falsetto vocals, home made hand-shakers, and my personal favorite - Norwegian lyrics! This excites me because not since Sigur Rós has there been a Scandinavian band who sings in their native language who is this enjoyable. I should stop the comparisons there though, because Casiokids are a purely fun and energetic band with a great live show that had all of us dancing along, rather ridiculously, until the end of their set.

    //via kyle dean reinford for Brooklyn Vegan//
    They are playing a ton of shows at SXSW this years, so maybe I'll be able to catch them multiple times?
  • Mar 16 2010 10:45P SXSW / The Mohawk w/We Are Scientists
  • Mar 17 2010 4:00A SXSW / Shout it out out party @ Creekside lounge
  • Mar 17 2010 1:00P SXSW / A Celebration of sound @ Epoch Coffee
  • Mar 17 2010 6:00P SXSW / Giant Steps party @ Plush bar 
  • Mar 18 2010 10:30A SXSW / Filter Party, Showdown @ Cedar Street
  • Mar 18 2010 12:00P SXSW / Moshi Moshi Party @ Red House Pizzeria
  • Mar 19 2010 5:00P SXSW / Lose control party @ Vice
  • Mar 20 2010 9:00P SXSW / Polyvinyl showcase @ Galaxy rooms

No comments:

Post a Comment