Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Stuffed my face & Stuffed it good (British-Bavarian Edition)

So, in yesterday's post I used the word "hearty" as a adjective to describe the offerings of the Louisiana Modern Museum of Art in Denmark. Because I am a fairly ridiculous person, the word 'hearty' awakened an urge in me to write about hearty and memorable meals I had during my last trip to Europe. I'm breaking it up into several posts by region, and pairing up the regions arbitrarily. Mostly because too much organization would actually suggest an air of responsibility in my personality, which is soooo not the case.

Here we go.


I started off my gastronomic journey in Dublin with two tasty tasy Irish potato cakes with somekind of red sauce. We ate at a pub close by our hostel. I believe it was called T & H. Doolans.



Next step: London. So, it's no surprise that the city is eye-gougingly expensive, particularly for American tourists. To cutrail traveling costs, we mostly ate cheapie meals of kabobs and pizza, but went on two fancy meal forays. First up, we went to Lahore Kabob House for some of the Best Pakistani Cuisine London has to offer.

Mutton chops make for a delicious appetizer, mmmmm...

Nehari with Chicken

Karahi Fry Lamb.

Honestly, the Indo/Pakistani cuisine in London was acceptably delicious, but it didn't live up to all the hype I had heard for many many years. Granted I probably have a more discriminating palette than necessary when it comes to Indo/Pakistani cuisine, but I think the commercial offerings in Houston (specifically the Harwin/Bissonet area) are the best.


Moving along, we took a boat tour of the Thames River on one particularly lovely afternoon. Included in the tour was a traditional English breakfast, complete with Earl Grey tea, tea cakes, buttermilk scones, finger sandwiches, and my favorite - strawberries & cream.

Strawberries & Cream tastes even better than it looks.


I came to Munich having overheard many accolades regarding Bavarian cuisine. My my expectations were very high and reasonably clouded. Luckily though, München delivered on its reputation in a big and tasty way.

Of course the first thing I ate there was a savory chocolate truffle. I can't remember the name or location of this lovely truffle house. This is probably because any concerns I have about recording things, awareness of my surroundings or even the well being of my fellow travelers goes out the window when the acquisition of an amazingly novel sweet treat becomes a possibility.
I do however remember that it had somekind of nuts in it. And creamy nougat. Oh lord.  


Then, upon the reccommendation of some friendly locals (which we soon found out was given - EVERYONE in Germany was just incredibly and ridiculously friendly), we ended up in a random alleyway, trying to find this tiny eatery called Zum Sedlmayer, which is loved by locals. It was there that I had the most amazing Beef Noodle soup that I still think about but will never attempt to re-create because I know I won't get it right.



Next, we chose to dine at a Biergarten in the Marien-Platz (or city centre area) for dinner that night. I had a bowl of Traditional Bavarian Goulash. It was Traditional Bavarian DELICIOUS, nom nom nom!


So, I'll save my tasty stories from Hamburg & Nice for the next time when I'm hit with the munchies.  

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, that stuff looks really delicious! I think I i'm going to make some food now :-)

    ReplyDelete