Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Curious name for a curious place


Yesterday's BAFTA post got me thinking about art and photography. Specifically, I started thinking about how during my last trip to Copenhagen, I was hoping and planning on visiting the Louisiana Modern Museum of Art, which is located 35 km away from the 'Hagen in Humlebæk, but never quite made it there.

Just a little background on the museum - the most visited art museum in Denmark, Louisiana houses a hearty permanent collection of modern and contemporary art, dating back to World War II era all the way to current day.  It is also host to a comprehensive menu of special exhibitions, guest speakers, installations and a seaside sculpture garden. Top it all off with the fact that the museum grounds themselves are considered a milestone in modern Danish architecture, and you have a synthesized oasis of art, architecture and landscape. Another fun fact is that it's mentioned as  one of the "1,000 Places to See Before You Die."

Since Copenhagen and Hamburg (where I plan on making my primary residence for the summer) are separated by a mere 4-hour train ride, I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to make it out to the museum this summer.




  
//via PB Galerie//


//via e-architect//


 I'm especially excited that their special summer exhibition will feature the rarely-seen Warhol interpretations of classic paintings by iconic Norwegian artist Edvard Munch. I saw many of Munch's original works in the National Gallery of Norway a few years ago, so seeing Warhol's interpretations, in my opinion, is the next logically awesome step.
Warhol's take on Munch's most well known work, 'The Scream,' below:

//via Mount Street Galleries//


Now, I'm sure there is a good explanation for why the Museum is called the Louisiana Museum of Art, but rather than investigate like an astute blogger would, I'm just going to hypothesize that it's because of the Danes' overwhelming love for Britney Spears and a good seafood Gumbo. Yes, that MUST be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment