Monday, February 15, 2010

Take This Youth

Of all the period pieces that I have been watching lately, and I must say the 50s/60s are coming out on top in terms of my preferred time period. Two such British films came out this year that I'm very eager to see. Coincidentally, both films are centered around a young protagonist.

First is the Oscar-nominated An Education, which was written by English Novelist Nick Hornby (who also penned one of my fav. British films, "About a Boy"). The film has a coming-of age story told through the eyes of a high school girl who is romanced by an older businessman. It also has a buffet of some great English actors and appears to be full of lovely 60s era style elements.


I need these hats in my wardrobe and life.

Love the boudoir elements of the set design in this pic.

Big hair, chandelier earrings and sheath dresses abound. LOVE.


The second film is a biopic of John Lennon's youthful days out in Liverpool called Nowhere Boy. It was directed by Sam Taylor-Wood, the creative force behind the ridiculous "David Bekham Sleeping" video back in 2002. Given the random nature of the director's previous work, I am a little skeptical. However, the movie has been garnering positive reviews and I'm a sucker for period-pieces and anything Beatles-related, so I'll likely see this film very soon.


Oh haaaay, The Quarrymen!

This actor doesn't bear a strinking resemblance to Lennon per say, but that jacket is just so uhmaaazing.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely images; before An Education came out, I read the real story behind the film in The Guardian newspaper only to find out at the end of the interview that it was being adapted into a film. Huge spoiler, so I've yet to watch the film but I know what will happen. :)

    ReplyDelete