Thursday, February 25, 2010

Today the way I play the game is not the same


Let's call this Throwback Thursday. Why not?

So I was going crazy studying for two tests yesterday, and between all the diagrams, definitions & acronyms, couldn't even care to pick music from my sprawling iTunes library. Instead I opted for random, leaving to fate (or an elaborate Apple algorithm) the soundtrack to my studying woes.

Much to my surprise, a song that I had not heard in a good long while started to play: Freedom '90 by George Michael! Hidden within the depths of my "Random Retro" album on iTunes, this tune rocked my world when I first discovered it back in 1995. The models! The angst! The obvious absence of the artist himself! The models! I ate it all up.

I was only acutely aware of the cultural significance of this video with its chock full of super models of the 90s crammed into one space. Of course, the more I watched the video (back then, rewatching meant tedious rewinding of a VHS tape that I managed to copy the video onto...thank God for YouTube!) the more I realized that it was (and still is) an incredibly iconic vid. Even now, can't watch it only once.








Vid here, if you are into that sweet sassy 90s style.

(Well...in spite of all this, this is still my favorite George Michael. Sorry WHAM.

)

No comments:

Post a Comment