Friday, January 29, 2010

Year that was - Part Uno

Like clockwork, we are bombarded by 'top ten' or 'top 25' or similarly titled lists when a year wraps up. In that spirit, I want to chronicle the five European films that I really enjoyed this past year, followed by a wishlist of ten that I want to see in 2010 (get it? List of 10 in 2010? I'm so clever, harhar). I only have European 5 films from 2009 because many of them were never released in theaters domestically, and have yet to be released on DVD. Plus, I did see a good many widely-known European flicks such as "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" and "Sherlock Holmes," but given their accessibility, those hardly warrant mention.

1. In the Loop
I'm listing this one first for many reasons; it was absolutely the funniest film I have seen in a long time. The mockumentary format in which it was shot took the subject manner (spoof of Anglo-American politicos) and transformed it into a witty and sometimes shocking play-by-play of the days leading up to an international invasion. As seen through the eyes of director Armando Iannucci, anyway. Also, the re-quoteability index is ridiculously high. Check out the trailer:


2. Harry Brown
I love Sir Michael Cane. Especially when he is a gun-yielding, hard-talking vigilante justice bad ass, as he is in this film. This film is violent, yes, but still a good look at urban youth culture gone somewhat awry in Northern Ireland.



3. London River
A beautiful cinematic piece showing how in a time of terror and sorrow, religion is often just an after thought. Perhaps because of my own background, this movie really struck a cord. I hope and wish that a similar film will be made soon that covers similar subject matter in the aftermath of 9/11.
Sidenote, I've always been a fan of Brenda Blethyn, and she really nails it in this one.



4. Is Anybody There?

Lovely English scenery + Michael Caine again + coming-of-age tale = me like. Corny, but it still pulls at my heart strings.



5. Tomorrow at Dawn (Demain dès l'aube)

This was particularly hard to get a hold of but it was worth it. Being that I do posses some of the largest accent goggles ever, even though I couldn't seem to understand what was going on perfectly, I would watch this movie over and over again. The scenery is lovely and the overall message was resounding. Plus, eye candy! Yeah!



Wishlist of 'Ten to see in 2010' coming soooooon.

No comments:

Post a Comment