Friday, April 10, 2009

Dolce Vita Acai Agave Sorbet


Over the years, I've come to realize there is a distinct charm in discovering things that are a bit random and perhaps not as widely disseminated as their counterparts (although this hasn't been true for me in all cases - I was covertly one of the millions that admired the Spice Girls back in their halcyon days even while espousing the musical superiority of Cradle of Filth; even on this blog, I make no secret of the fact that I am a regular and avid patron of Whole Foods. One of so, so, many regular, avid patrons).

Anyway, getting back to the point - I recently became aware of a godsend of sorts (thanks to a ridiculously titled albeit informative NY times fav. "Skinny Bitch") that most people are still relatively unaware of, beyond health junkie circles, that is. Said godsend is the natural sweetener Raw Agave Nectar. Although it is commonly associated with the production of Mexican Tequilas, this nectar of the Agave plant (when used in its raw natural form) is not only devoid of all the unhealthy side effects of refined sugar and artificial sweeteners, but can also offer health benefits such as keeping one's glycemic index steady and promoting the absorption of nutrients.

Ever since I became apprised of Agave's righteous existence, I have acquired the habit of launching into a full-on mental search party when dining out; I fastidiously scour menus of local eateries for Agave-sweetened sweeties. Alas, my efforts over the past few months have lead me to realize that:
1. Not many eateries in Austin will forfeit refined sugar or high-fructose corn syrup in favor of healthier alternatives.
2. I am remarkable lazy when it comes to making sweets; virtual cookbooks are abound with recipes that make good use of Agave nectar, but I have yet to attempt a single one.

You can imagine my pleasant astonishment then when I discovered that Hyde Park's very own Dolce Vita is home to a delectable Acai Agave Sorbet. I was overjoyed to see this healthy yet succulent addition to their gelato offerings not only because of their use of Agave nectar, but also due to the other main ingredient being the super food Acai (check out the health benefits of Acai here). As you can see from the photo above, the sorbet is colorful and rich. The flavor was tangy and very cool; it was the perfect antidote for the sweltering temperature. I ate my serving slowly, partly because I like my sorbets a little melty, and partly due to the fact that I wanted to really savor the small bits of Acai that were in the treat. Overall, it was just as sweet and luscious as any refined sugar-sweetened sorbet I have had; in fact, it's difficult to say if I would have known the difference had I not been told as much. Dolce Vita offers the sorbet in single gelato servings or on a bed of granola (as you can see in the photo above).

Now, a disclaimer for those who have been rendered skeptical after consuming their fair share of healthy yet unappetizing sweets: the truth is, Agave nectar does not taste exactly like sugar. The sweet sensation it creates is indeed understated compared to most commercial sweeteners (particularly refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup). Also, since it is unlikely to find Agave sweetener in granulated form, the consistency of some sweets might be different. However, Agave nectar won't incite your glycemic index or blood sugar levels the way sugar and artificial sweeteners do. If being healthy is at all a concern for you, then I can guarantee that the trade off is more than worth it.

1 comment:

  1. There is a place in Grand Cayman called Agave. It was once an exquisite Mexican restaurant, but has since fallen from grace after new ownership. This post reminded me of it. I must try Dolce Vita when I visit Austin again.

    ReplyDelete