Saturday, March 7, 2009

My muffin top is all that

Last night, I went to bed with a plan - wake up early today, do some chores around the house, get some exercise in, and then meet up with my friend for some serious muffin consumption at the Taste No Evil Muffin Co., pictured above. (Nevermind of course that I stayed out until 2 a.m. attending the Cut Copy show at Stubb's followed by dancing at Creekside Lounge to the tunes of a DJ who was good enough, but didn't play our admittedly cheesy request of "Never Gonna Give You Up" by Rick Astley, despite having said he would. Or that when I made it home at 2 a.m., I stayed up another hour watching 30 Rock and eating quinoa slathered with lentils and sriracha. Anyhow then!).

Not surprisingly, I peeled myself out of bed much later than I hoped or wanted. I manged a smidgen of respectable work before I decided I needed to reward myself and called my brunch buddy. We were tasty bound by around noon.

On our way to the muffin stop, we stopped for breakfast tacos at the GoodSeed Organic Cafe trailer, a recent addition to the colorful Oltorf food peddlers. Located right outside the Austin Enchanted Forest, their healthy breakfast menu offers a variety of natural tacos, oatmeals, and smoothies. Our food was excellent (especially the spicy salsa), the service was friendly, and the prices were exceptionally reasonable for all-natural, good-sized meals.


We finally headed over to South Lamar to check out the Taste No Evil Muffin Co. (picture above and on the right are courtesy of owner and 'Top Muffin' Karisa Prestera. Because I am a super-awesome-badass who always forgets the camera. When it is most needed. Yeah). The locale is no more than an old school bus that's been generously doused with character. Karisa, the owner and culinary mastermind of the joint, greeted us and happily offered us samples and suggestions to satiate our muffin quest. We finally settled on the Blueberry Buttermilk Bliss and the Strawberry Citrus Sunrise.

The vegan Strawberry Citrus Sunrise was chewy and fruity, and had hints of citrus that left a summery aftertaste. The Blueberry Buttermilk Bliss was equally yummy; full of large juicy blueberries, it also had a hint of saltiness as a result of the buttermilk infusion. Also, neither of the muffins were overly sweet; Karisa uses only natural sweeteners, mostly organic ingredients, and items from other local vendors when she can. Thus, we were able to enjoy at the luscious goodness of the cupcakes without feeling bad about consuming enough refined sugar or preservatives to feed a small country. In my mind, that is ALWAYS a good thing.

1 comment: